Season IV – Crystallized Group Show, 23/2 – 15/4/2017 – opening: 22/2/2017
Event, Exhibition — January, 30 2017
Season IV – Crystallized Group Show
23.2 – 15.2.2017
Crystallized is a group show about contemporary explorations in the organic: applied arts and design installations employing ceramics, crystal, lacquer, metal, mixed media and photography. Discover here our mini Spazio_Nobile_Crystallized_catalogue and download our invitation to the opening and exhibition agenda: Crystallized_invitation
For its first 2017 exhibition, Spazio Nobile gallery reveals 11 new contemporary unique pieces and limited editions exploring the organic. Finding new ways to employ noble materials like ceramics, crystal, lacquer, metal, mixed media, photography, and natural minerals, these designers have applied a handicraft approach to create a series of oustanding installations. Material alchemy transforms one’s perception and elevates the status of an object or image beyond ornamentation. Combining nature with technology reveals the beauty of experimentation while the importance of recycling and upcycling are brought to the fore.
How can one achieve strong visual and tactile vibrance, grown materials, develop formal language and pallets of shade without destroying the environment? In this light, Spazio Nobile works to redefine certain functional objects as art.
– Chen Chen & Kai Williams (New York, US), wall installation of five Caviar sconces, silver shots, illuminated glass lens, 2017, in collaboration with Patrick Parrish Gallery, New York
– Marie Dessuant & Philip Bone, Dessuant Bone (Paris, FR), A Day Bed, aluminium and dirty or smoked pink laminated flat glass, 85 x 35 x 190 cm, 2017, in collaboration with Allaert Aluminium (BE)
– Gaëlle Gabillet & Stéphane Villard, GGSV (Paris, FR), Meteoric Stone, bespoke digital printed rugs, wool or acrylic, inspired by the mineral world of marble and stone, 320 x 250 cm, 2017, in collaboration with Ege
– Marlene Huissoud (London, UK), Of Insects and Men Vase and Wall installation, two mural pieces and a tree sculpture, honeybee bio resin, discarded glass, 2017
– Tom Joyce (Santa Fe, New Mexico, US-Brussels, BE), Well I – II – III – IV- V, dye infused photographs on aluminum, edition of 5, 2016, 18 h x 18 w x 18 d. cm, framed
– Antonio Lampecco (Maredret, BE), installation of large scale contemporary soft glazed ceramic sculptures with signature-made cristalline compositions, unique pieces, after 2000
Context of Belgian Design History :
45 years after his Golden Medal won at the Design Center Brussels, 1972, the Italian potter and ceramist Antonio Lampecco comes back to the contemporary scene at Spazio Nobile. As a passionate artist, he will never stop creating new typologies of objects, searching always for new cristalline glosses, glazes and firing processes. Looking back at the golden age of Maredsous Abbey, where Lampecco studied ceramics, we are re-exploring with him the Maredsous school founded in 1903 but which was from 1939 until the mid-1960s one of the excellence center for applied arts in Belgium, especially when speaking about training artists rather then craftsmen in the filed of silversmithing and ceramics. Many of the masterpieces coming from Maredsous have been revealed to the public at the Expo 58 in Brussels.
– Isaac Monté (Rotterdam, NL), Five Icons of Design, crystallized minerals, 2017
The Juicy Salif by Philippe Starck and the 9093 Kettle by Michael Graves for Alessi, EM77Jug by Erik Magnussen for Stelton, The Dombo by Richard Hutten for Gispen and the Aalto Vase by Aino & Alvar Aalto for Iittala, crystallized minerals and oxyds, edition of 3 + 2 A.P., thanks to Alessi (IT), Gispen (NL), Iittala (FI), Stelton (DK)
Upcoming shows : Venice Art Biennale 2017, WantedDesign Manhattan during NYCXDESIGN.
– Taeg Nishimoto (Texas, US), Liquid mirrors, wall installation of cast pigmented concrete disks playing with optical textures, 35-42 or 50 cm diam., 4 cm high, 3,4 kg, unique pieces, actual concrete disk is 7mm thick, and there is a swivel and hanging mechanism attached in the back.
– Ming-Zhong Chen & Yu-Ju Lin, Richu Lacquer Art Co (Taipei, TW), Convey the Mind, Ostrich Eggshell and Bodiless lacquer, natural lacquer paint and pearl inlay, up to twenty layers of lacquer, 2017
– Frederik Vidal (Hamburg,D), Entropia, o.T. C-prints, 2008
– Philipp Weber (Berlin, D), On Colours, multi chromatic crystal pieces, free blown by Christophe Genard (Liège, BE), founder and glass blower, L’Atelier du Val (Val Saint-Lambert, BE), 2016. A Strange Symphony is displayed, as the starting point of his project (Design Academy, Eindhoven, 2013) around an altered blowing pipe which he transformed into a musical instrument that blows glass. From Below, 2017, is his new machine that sculpts objects from a material that usually only serves as a raw byproduct producing iron.
Crystallized Group Show
Vernissage: 22.2.2017 – 18-22
Exhibition from 23.2 until 15.4.2017
Sunday Brunch : 26.2.2017 & 19.3.2017, 12-18.00
Crystallized Apero : 11.3.2017 & 25.3.2017, 17-20.00
Spazio Nobile by Pro Materia Gallery,
Contemporary Applied Arts, Design & Photography
Rue Franz Merjay 142
1050 Brussels, Belgium
+32 (0)2 768 25 10
Me – sa / Wo. – za. / Wedn. – Sat., 11.00-18.00
& sur rendez-vous / op afspraak / by appointment
Season IV store online : https://promateria.org/season/season-iv/
Press & PR: Nathalie Zalcman, email@example.com,
+32 (0) 475 79 77 01
Link to photos:
Contemporary applied arts, design & photography